Followers

Friday, May 11, 2012

Some Kind of SkibbCon

So my next gaming adventure has been determined - I will be entering the doubles tournament at SkibbCon on the weekend of June 9th-10th. The event is a doubles format 1000 points per player, under Highlander army construction rules.

For those unaware, the Highlander rules work as follows :
  • You may not select any choice from the army list more than once.
  • The force organisation is split into three tiers, each of 1 HQ, 1 Elites, 2 Troops, 1 Fast Attack and 1 Heavy Support. You must fill the first tier before accessing the second, and you must fill the second to access the third tier.
I will be teaming with clubmate and ETC Team Northern Ireland 40K Vice Captain John Stowe. John is fielding Necrons, while I've decided to use the event to get a headstart on painting my Dark Eldar. As for our team name, we have selected "Traitor and the Troll". If you know which is which, answers on a postcard.

So I've drafted up the following list :
Haemonculus (65) - Shattershard.
4 Kabalite Trueborn (108) - 4 Blasters, in Venom (65) - 2 Splinter Cannons.
10 Kabalite Warriors (105) - Shredder, Splinter Cannon.
9 Wyches (158) - Hydra Gauntlets, Haywire Grenades. Hekatrix w/Agoniser, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, in Raider (75) - Enhanced Aethersails, Flickerfield.
5 Scourges (134) - 2 Heat Lances.
Ravager (115) - Flickerfield.
Razorwing Jetfighter (175) - Splinter Cannon, 2 Shatterfield Missiles, Flickerfield.

My main objective for selecting units was to mostly stick to models I already had and would also use in larger points games as well. The Razorwing Jetfighter is probably the exception, normally I would just use Ravagers, but I like the model for it so I bought one anyway.

I have four weeks to get the army assembled and painted for the event. I've learned several things so far. Firstly, the missiles from the Razorwing Jetfighter are rather pointy, and I stabbed myself with them multiple times when scraping off the mould lines. The Raider instructions come with a very long set of instructions, so when I opened it up, my first thought was short and inappropriate for publication. The hangers on that come as part of the Venom kit could be used as extra Wyches instead. The same goes for the ones on the Raider as Kabalite Warriors/Trueborn. Finally, I paint a lot of blue armies.

SkibbCon is not intended as a WAAC event anyway, so I'm not too worried about bringing an army I have never used before. The event is held in a hostel in Skibbereen, Co. Cork. The Skibb Wargamers book out the hostel for the weekend, so for your entry fee you get your accommodation and breakfast as well, and a weekend of drinking and general nerd activities. It is in it's third year, I've never been before but have heard nothing but good things about the previous two events. Should be good fun.

10 comments:

  1. Well since my comrade in arms is being so open as to terrify our would be opponents with the layers of cheese we intend to bring, I offer the following in the same spirit.

    I am the other one on your postcard btw.

    HQ 1: Necron Overlord (90) Warscythe (10) Mindshackle Scarabs (15) [115]
    in Dedicated Transport 1
    HQ-: Harbringer (25) of Destruction with Eldritch Lance (10) Solar Pulse (20) [55]
    Harbringer (25) of Veil of Darkness (30) [55]
    HQ 2: Destroyer Lord (125) Sempiternal Weave (15) Mindshackle Scarabs (20) [160]
    Troops 1: 5 Warriors (5x13) [65] in dedicated Transport 2
    Troops 2: 5 Immortals (5x17) [85]
    Fast Attack 1: 5 Wraiths (5x35) 2x Coils (20) [195]
    Heavy 1: Annihilation Barge (90) Gauss Cannon (0) [90]
    Dedicated Transport 1: Command Barge (80) Gauss Cannon (0) [80]
    Dedicated Transport 2: Night Scythe (100) [100]
    Total: 1000

    All I can say is that my comrade and I are coming to play in a WAAC frame of mind and will be very upset if our opponents drink more than us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really looking forward to having you down lads. Cheesing it up as usual Stowe... As long as we are all drinking whiskey during the game I don't mind how many times your Lord gets back up this game. (This may not be true, but WHISKEY)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the "Hunters from Hyperspace" are AWOL, as that Destroyer Lord is lacking his Elite choice buddies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Luke has called it, two HQ choices and no Elites. You also have mis-priced the Harbinger of Despair, who costs 5 to upgrade before taking the Veil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curse you, Luke, for foiling our evil plan. So much for posting a fake list and then showing up with Blood Angels and Black Templars!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many people on the ball , is this WAAC list analysis I see before me LOL

    Okay, to explain, in an effort to use one of Ralph’s shiney new ‘Cylon’ Scythes I screwed up the last so here is a fixed one (hopefully).



    HQ 1: Necron Overlord (90) Warscythe (10) Mindshackle Scarabs (15) [115] 

    in Dedicated Transport 1

    HQ-: Harbringer (25) of Destruction with Eldritch Lance (10) Solar Pulse (20) [55]
    
Harbringer (25) of Despair with Abyssal Staff (5) Veil of Darkness (30) [60]

    HQ 2: Destroyer Lord (125) Sempiternal Weave (15) Mindshackle Scarabs (20) [160] 

    Troops 1: 5 Warriors (5x13) [65] 

    Troops 2: 5 Immortals (5x17) [85]

    Fast Attack 1: 5 Wraiths (5x35) 2x Coils (20) [195]

    Elite 1: 5x Deathmarks (5x19) [95]

    Heavy 1: Annihilation Barge (90) Gauss Cannon (0) [90]

    Dedicated Transport 1: Command Barge (80) Gauss Cannon (0) [80]

    Total: 1000

    Thanks for all the heads up guys for my screw ups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tabled Ralph's K-Con list today with my Skibb Cron list. My dice being on fire and his freezing cold had nothing to do with the result. Dice aside this list is great fun, been a while since I played with my Necron army :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shall we find a pair of guinea-pigs, erm, I mean opponents for a test run next Wednesday?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea mate. Lets ask in the club Weds. BTW I painted those 5 Deathmarks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good man. I still have to do the Haemonculus, 6 Warriors, 9 Wyches, 5 Scourges, the Raider and the Ravager.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List