Followers

Saturday, March 17, 2012

To Baal or not to Baal

Recently I've been having problems with my Predator army, in that I'm having next to no success with my Baal Predators. The Assault Cannons are severely underperforming and far too often the gun is blown off and I'm left with no offensive output. The AutoLas Predators are performing better, and at least can do something useful if they lose a gun. However, the Jump Infantry contingent are still doing the bulk of the heavy lifting in the army.

I'm scheduled to attend MooFool in UCC at the end of the month, and I'm still not sure which army list to take. Here are the three options I have in mind.

Option A- Essentially my WarpCon army, although the Librarian drops Fear of the Darkness (nice, but rarely used) for Unleash Rage.

Librarian (125) - Jump Pack. Unleash Rage, Shield of Sanguinius.
Sanguinary Priest (90) - Jump Pack, Power Weapon.
Sanguinary Priest (75) - Jump Pack.
10 Assault Marines (235) - 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist.
10 Assault Marines (235) - 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist.
5 Assault Marines (100) - remove Jump Packs, in Razorback (61) - Twin Linked Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
5 Assault Marines (100) - remove Jump Packs, in Razorback (61) - Twin Linked Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Baal Predator (121) - Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Baal Predator (121) - Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Baal Predator (121) - Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Predator (135) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons.
Predator (135) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons.
Predator (135) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons.


Option B - Give the Baal Predators Heavy Bolter sponsons. I need to drop a Sanguinary Priest in order to do that. This allows the Baals to have a role if I get a weapon destroyed against them, and gives me extra anti-infantry and light vehicle firepower.

Librarian (125) - Jump Pack. Unleash Rage, Shield of Sanguinius.
Sanguinary Priest (75) - Jump Pack.
10 Assault Marines (235) - 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist.
10 Assault Marines (235) - 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist.
5 Assault Marines (100) - remove Jump Packs, in Razorback (61) - Twin Linked Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
5 Assault Marines (100) - remove Jump Packs, in Razorback (61) - Twin Linked Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Baal Predator (151) - Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Baal Predator (151) - Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Baal Predator (151) - Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Predator (135) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons.
Predator (135) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons.
Predator (135) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons.


Option C - Get rid of the Baal Predators altogether. In their place I can take a second Librarian and third Assault Squad instead, while transferring their Searchlights to the regular Predators.

Librarian (125) - Jump Pack. Unleash Rage, Shield of Sanguinius.
Librarian (125) - Jump Pack. Unleash Rage, Shield of Sanguinius.
Sanguinary Priest (90) - Jump Pack, Power Weapon.
Sanguinary Priest (75) - Jump Pack.
10 Assault Marines (235) - 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist.
10 Assault Marines (235) - 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist.
10 Assault Marines (235) - 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist.
5 Assault Marines (100) - remove Jump Packs, in Razorback (61) - Twin Linked Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
5 Assault Marines (100) - remove Jump Packs, in Razorback (61) - Twin Linked Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Predator (136) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons, Searchlight.
Predator (136) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons, Searchlight.
Predator (136) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons, Searchlight.

I may not get time to try out both armies. I'm scheduled to play Alan at the club on Wednesday night, and won't get another game in before the deadline for list submission. I'll probably try Option B, as he doesn't like my Jump Pack troops for some reason.

4 comments:

  1. Personally I'd stick with the Baals. I found mine fantastic with the Heavy Bolter Sponsons. I'm sure Caolan will agree with me about it too. The Baals are just too damn good for their price with Heavy Bolter Sponsons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to go with Lucius on this one. Baals with H-Bolters are able to put out a huge amount of fire for relatively low points. Plus, even after all of the guns have been blown off they can be turned into battering rams that will often be able to throw out S8+ hits against other vehicles because of its speed.

    Giving the Baals extra guns also makes them harder to kill through weapon destroyed/immobilised results stacking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll run the second list against Alan's GK army on Wednesday night, see how it goes. It's the list I'm leaning towards already, so it's the best option for a playtest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. List 2 is the best one. The lads have confirmed what they know to be my opinion on the Baals.

    The first night I played the 6 Pred list I killed Mervs Long Fangs so quick in my turn one that we reset, only to do exactly the same thing again. The amount of dice they throw out is horrendous. Killing LF's, Oblits and spamming multi-wound creatures is where they come into their own.

    If you are tempted to go single weapon then go for the Flamestorm. The option to outflank is superb and puts your opponent in a real tizzy in his deployment phase.

    Looking forward to seeing you at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List