Followers

Thursday, January 5, 2012

WarpCon 2012 - incoming

So this month sees me make my annual trip to Cork for University College Cork's annual WarpCon convention. WarpCon is host to what is usually one of the largest 40K tournaments in the country, with attendance regularly reaching 60 players. This will be my first WarpCon 40K event, I played Fantasy the last two years.

WarpCon's large player turnout could be both a blessing and a curse. It will be a very difficult event for me to do very well at, as there will be most of the top players in the country in attendance. However, there will also be a decent number of more casual players and irregular tournament attendees at the event as well, so there is the opportunity to win games for me as well. I'm hoping to get a couple of wins and maybe make it into the top twenty by the end of the event, provided I don't get a set of bad matchups or really crappy dice rolls at important times.

I'll be bringing my Flesh Tearers, probably something like this list

Librarian (125) - Jump Pack. Fear of the Darkness, Shield of Sanguinius
Sanguinary Priest (90) - Jump Pack, Power Weapon.
Sanguinary Priest (75) - Jump Pack.
10 Assault Marines (235) - 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist.
10 Assault Marines (235) - 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist.
5 Assault Marines (100) - no Jump Packs, in Razorback (61) - Twin Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
5 Assault Marines (100) - no Jump Packs, in Razorback (61) - Twin Lascannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Baal Predator (121) - Twin Assault Cannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Baal Predator (121) - Twin Assault Cannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Baal Predator (121) - Twin Assault Cannon, Dozer Blade, Searchlight.
Predator (135) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons.
Predator (135) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons.
Predator (135) - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons.

I still need to get a lot of the figures painted. I have still to finish the Assault Marines on foot, a Sanguinary Priest and the vehicles (except one Razorback). All have been started and some of them are close to finished. The WarpCon rulespack requires painted figures to a 3 colour minimum, but I always paint my tournament armies anyway and have done some freehand designs on the troops and vehicles, so I'd ideally like to get the whole army done to a finished standard. I'll let you know how I'm getting on in a week or two on that front.

WarpCon 40K is using a modified version of last year's ETC scoring. Each game has a possible 20 points available, with a Primary Objective (8 points, 4 each if drawn), a Secondary Objective (6 points, 3 each if drawn) and Victory Points (6 available, split depending on VP difference). With so many different points scoring combinations available, it will be of utmost importance to concentrate on the objectives and take whatever points can be gotten. Even if I can't achieve the primary, the secondary can still provide me with some Battle Points. Should be a good tactical test, and I'll need to be on top of my game.

Outside of gaming, the event should be a lot of fun. A large contingent will be travelling from the Dublin Games Guild so much laughter and beer shall be had. Woo-hoo!

On a different note, I've also volunteered to help with some fund raising for Team Ireland 40K. I'll be making buns for the event which will be available to players and spectators in exchange for a donation to the team fund. Captain Mike Tangney and his team are doing some great work in this area and I'm happy to help them out. Team Ireland Public Relations Officer Caolan Gibbons has volunteered to arrange flyers and collecting tins and help on the day as well. If anyone else will be there and would like to help out by offering buns and shaking collecting tins we would really appreciate it. Or even if you have any other ideas to help with raising money, contact Mike or Caolan, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lenny.

    Thanks again for your help with the ETC fund raising. It's great to see all of the community getting together behind the team and suggestions like yours are just the type of creative thinking we were hoping to find.

    Really looking forward to Warpcon this year. The 40K is always a fun and competitive affair at Warpcon, with the first few games evening out player competence and every point being scrapped to inch toward those elusive top tables.

    Having said that it is also a very friendly con with most of my friends and indeed myself having been introduced to the scene via Warpcon (mine was way back in '94!)

    I like the list. Nice mix of Mech and Infantry. I hope you do well with it. I am concerned on the second priest though as he is an easy KP, and with margins being so tight in this point system, you may be better off with something a little less killy. If you have the time to try it, maybe a unit of sniper scouts could work? They can babysit the Home Obj, be annoying by either taking pot shots or going to ground, and will allow your Lasbacks to head forward with everything else or even provide mobile cover for the Baals. Just my two cent.

    Looking forward to seeing you in Cork. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caolan,

    Thanks for your comment. I'm really looking forward to WarpCon, I had a look around the 40K tournament last year during a break in the Fantasy event and it seemed to be going really well and people seemed to be enjoying themselves.

    I did consider running only a single Priest and either taking Scouts or putting sponsons on the Baals, but my tactical advisers have recommended the ability to have each of the jump squads able to operate seperately if needs be would be more useful. Still, have a couple of weeks to try things out before the deadline yet.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List