Followers

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Kings of War

I saw an article on the Mantic Games blog this afternoon (www.manticblog.com), about their soon to be released Warpath rules. I'm interested to see where they go with it, but more importantly it got me thinking about their first game, Kings of War.

I wasn't initially impressed with Mantic at first. The first product of theirs that I saw was their Elf range, which I don't really like. However, over time they've begun to impress me more and more, with frequent releases and great prices (for someone used to GW anyway). I happened to win some of their Undead in a raffle held by Firestorm Games (www.firestormgames.co.uk) when I was there as part of the 2010 Fantasy Home Nations event. I also picked up the starter box, Mhorgoth's Revenge, late last year, but never did anything with either.

Seeing as all their rules are free to download, this afternoon I downloaded the latest rules and all the current army lists for the game. I did a few quick calculations and worked out I can get nearly 1000 points out of what I have, with just the addition of a Necromancer, as one thing I don't have is any characters. I worked out the following army list.

Necromancer (110)
Revenant Regiment (135) - Banner, Musician. 2 Handed Weapons.
Revenant Regiment (135) - Banner, Musician.
Revenant Troop (85) - Banner, Musician.
Skeleton Regiment (140) - Banner, Musician. Spears. Undead Giant Rats.
Skeleton Regiment (140) - Banner, Musician. Spears. Undead Giant Rats.
Zombies Half-Regiment (75) - Banner, Musician.
Ghouls Regiment (80)
Balefire Catapult (50)
Balefire Catapult (50)

I'm going to try to start up assembling and painting a few starter models shortly. The above force can also be used as a Vampire Counts army for Warhammer, so it might see some use as that as well.


P.S. On another note, a series of articles I'll be starting soon will be looking at the Lores of Magic available in Warhammer. I'll leave the choice of the first lore to my readers, so the first person to comment gets to choose the Lore.

3 comments:

  1. I was really impressed with the sound of the Kings of War Review the Garagehammer guys did! Have you listened to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Padraic - Lore of Life it is. Will post up over the weekend.

    Mike - I've never actually listened to Garagehammer. Is it available on iTunes or elsewhere? Interested to hear what others think.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List