Followers

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Infinity - Initial opinions

Today, Gamers World held an Infinity Gaming Day. I popped in for a couple of hours after work, as I'd heard plenty of good things about this game so I hoped to get an introductory game in. In the end I managed to play two games. In the first I got completely creamed by Myk, but I picked up on the basic mechanics of the game and basic tactics. In the second game I played against Ian, who I managed to beat thanks to some fortunate dice rolls on my side.

I think I enjoyed the second game more, although that probably had more to do with the fact I had a much better idea of what I was able to do and was trying to achieve. Both guys were very helpful to play against and certainly helped out and were more than happy to answer any questions I had. Thanks to Greg, Myk and Ian, I had a very enjoyable couple of hours.

As for the game itself, I found the mechanics very interesting. Each player is limited to a number of orders per turn, which dictate how much you can or can't do. I enjoyed the aspect of the game involving reactions - basically, when one of your models does something in line of sight of the enemy, they can choose from a number of reactions. The game uses D20s rather than the normal D6 used in wargaming, and I liked the idea of the opposed rolls (you need to roll equal to or under a number in most cases, although you ideally want to be as close to that number as possible. If you needed to roll 12 or less, the closer to 12 you roll without going over the better.

The question is, of course, whether I will collect a force or not. While my major concern is whether or not the system will still be played in a few months time. While Greg seems to have gathered a reasonable number on his Infinity mailing list, I'm still not sure whether this game will be played by many people long term. However, the rules are available free and a playable force is much cheaper than with many other games, maybe. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List